Friday, November 23, 2007

The Eagle Has Landed!

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... pictures of our completed kitchen!!

To refresh your memory, we'll start with a before picture. Here's the old kitchen:



Here's a during picture:



And now the after picture:


That photo's a little funky because I did a panorama stitched in photoshop. here's another.



And how about a tour of the family's favorite parts of the new kitchen? Here's the pull-out spice rack:


The pull-out trash can is the thing I was the most surprised by how useful it ended up being:



We had outlets put inside some cabinets, and now our microwave is behind the pantry doors:



Tip-out trays under the sink:



And quite possibly the ugliest angle of our new kitchen, this corner is on the end of the pantry next to the garage door, and is already the catch-all spot. We've got an outlet in the upper cabinet for cell-phone chargers and our calendar is hanging inside the door. It's kind of an eyesore already, but it's an improvement because this stuff used to collect on the counter, like a giant mountain of bills and junk.




I've loved the sink in its new location - I was worried, but I shouldn't have been. I have tons of uninterrupted counter space, which actually stays relatively clean while I cook because I dump stuff right into the trash can next to me. And the boys love the dropped bar - they eat there, do homework there, fight there - it's perfect for them. I wish I had gotten pull-out shelves in the pantry - I didn't think I'd need them since the pantry's only 18" deep, but now that I'm using it, it sure would be nice. I might still see if I can't order them separately. Also, something that would have been nice was a pot-filler, which is basically a skinny faucet that extends out over your stove to fill pots with water. Completely frivolous, but now that my sink is so far from my stove, it would have been nice.

I'd write more but I'm holding a fussy baby. Incidentaaly, if anyone knows where the one-handed typing tournament is being held this year, let me know. It's a ridiculous skill to have, but when you spend as much time typing with a baby sitting on your lap as I do, you'd want to capitalize on it too. Unfortunately, it seems like the weird-typing thing is using your thumbs to text, so my skill is about as cool as my Connect Four or Whack-a-Mole prowess is.

If you are local, come check out my kitchen!!

No comments: